Have you started putting on weight even though your diet and exercise routine hasn’t changed? And no matter what you do, you cannot shift the weight or it comes back with vengeance? It is a common question I receive in clinic with women when they reach their menopausal years.
So here are some helpful hints to busting that bulge!
- Posture – you may wonder what posture has to do with weight gain? The digestive organs are found in your abdomen, and if you are slouched over, it leads to sluggish digestion and poor waist (I means waste) Pardon the pun!
- Drink hawthorn fruit tea – it reduces fat accumulation, purifies the blood and reduces cholesterol.
- Massage your legs – Yes massage your legs. There are energy pathways that run down your legs that have an impact on your digestion. There is a longevity point just under your knee that not only improves your energy, it may promote weight loss.
- Spice up your life – add spices to your meals in drinks. Cinnamon, clove, ginger and garlic can all help with your food factory.
- Avoid icy cold drinks and food. Cold is not a woman’s best friend. It can create sluggish digestion leading to weight gain.
- Walk – especially for 10 minutes after eating. Walking when tired can also help invigorate your energy. You can actually be tired from not moving enough.
- Small meals often – in Chinese dietary therapy we suggest small meals 5-6 times a day is easier for digestion. Large heavy meals are difficult to digest, and can slow down the metabolism leading to weight gain.
- Dance – and have fun doing it. Or find something that lights your fire to do. Dance moves like figure of 8 and circular motion of the waist helps target the area where fat is often deposited during menopause.
There are many more helpful tips for weight gain for menopause. However it can be overwhelming with too much information. Choose one thing to do a week, introduce slowly and make them positive life style choices.