The kaleidoscope of Premenstrual tension (PMT)
The experience of premenstrual tension (PMT) can be excruciating, not only for us as women, but also to those around us. There are the physical symptoms of sore breasts, bowel changes, weight gain, headaches and pimples to name but a few. Then there are the emotional changes, the mood swings, anxiety, turning into crying hysterical messes or grumpy irritable monsters. Symptoms can last from just a few days to a whole cycle. Relief may come with the onset of the period, but then again it may not. The constant cycle of PMT can sometimes seem endless.
While the cause of PMT is unknown, there is a hormonal imbalance of progesterone and estrogen. The variety of symptoms may be influenced by a number of factors including stress, lack of sleep and nutritional factors. We generally live hectic stressful lives in an environment with many pollutants that can interfere with our hormonal balance.
Life style factors
- Exercise helps relieve stress. Try to exercise 30-40 minutes at least 3 times a week.
- Sleep is so important to our health and well being, and this alone can make a world of difference to our state of mind and body
- Relaxation techniques including meditation, yoga and being out in nature can reduce our stress levels
- Nutrition – ensuring a healthy diet full of vegetables, fruit and healthy fats
- Avoid chemicals – chemicals can interfere with our hormonal health and are best to be avoided. Use natural cleaners and body products and eat foods that are free from pesticides and unprocessed foods.
There are a number of Chinese herbal formulas that can assist in eliminating the symptoms of premenstrual tension. They are individually formulated according to symptoms and constitution of the woman. Acupuncture also has success in treating it. Considering 80% of women may experience PMT, there are natural ways of eliminating the symptoms that can interfere with our lives and our sense of well-being. Make an appointment today if you suffer from PMT and are looking for a natural, safe and effective treatment.
Like Mei Hua Chinese Medicine Clinic on facebook